Across America there is a growing concensus that two strategies work:
Self-Development and Partnerships
- Housing development is best done when done in a context of community and self-development
- Quality housing will more likely be sustained by increasing the skill base of a neighborhood, a community or of tenants in a development
- Housing development done through partnerships between local government, private sector businesses and Community Based Organizations (CBO's) has the best chance of leveraging, maximizing and preserving resources
- Housing development will more likely foster pride, self-sufficiency, and enhanced quality of life if families, neighborhoods and communities have an active role and shared responsibility in the development
- Housing resources can be enhanced through strategies that focus on creating visible neighborhood impact
The Governor should:
- Select a Louisiana Housing Finance Agency head that supports these underlying principles
- Appoint a special commission to address financing housing and the promotion of self development and partnerships.
Southern Mutual Help Association (SMHA) is one of ten non-profit organization to be selected nationally for the Sustained Excellence Award by the Fannie Mae Foundation for an outstanding housing program in America.
Return to top of page